Thursday, September 9, 2010

I Remember





Corey and I are coming upon our two year anniversary as two people in covenant relationship with God. It has been an amazing road so far, full of many seasons in which God never deserted us. I often get nostalgic and look back on our life together.

Meeting my husband when I was fifteen is going to be a neat story to tell our kids when we get old. I remember going to North Bullitt Christian Church and being overwhelmed with new people after my baptism. Joining a youth group was equally overwhelming, but I ended up with a special friend who enjoyed talking to me on AOL instant messenger late at night. We instantly clicked and told each other about our "life stories," which both contained way more baggage than a normal teenager should be carrying around. But it was nice to know that I wasn't the only person in church that had "stuff."

I remember our first date at the Jefferson Mall on a February Wednesday. Corey was getting fitted for a tuxedo... for some prom show a friend of his jokingly put him in. I was so nervous riding in a car with a seventeen year old driving. I was never allowed to do that before. It was snowing outside, and I probably walked two feet behind him the entire time. I barely spoke a word.
I remember going back to my house and listening to Sublime, because I thought he would like that. Little did I know, that was uncool... so I put in an Emery C.D. instead. We began talking again, for hours... making us late for church that night.

I remember the first time he kissed me. He came over before going to a Wake The Day show and I had to go to the Circus with my mom. I was walking him out, and as we both turned away he said "hey" and I turned around and he kissed me. I remember walking backwards, with florid cheeks... and giggling as he watched me wave and trip all at the same time.

I remember the day before Valentines day, he came over and we rented movies. Crash and Hide and Seek... to be exact. We watched them in my bedroom, with the door open of course. I remember laughing during really serious scenes of movies... and Corey telling me, "Shh. This is serious time," with a smirk on his face.

I remember that night, he went home and got on the internet... and asked me to be his girlfriend by typing, "So you think I should change my relationship status on Myspace?"

I remember holding him as he cried about his dad, and him being there to watch my mom and I hash it out... almost daily. I remember him taking up for me.

I remember turning on classical music in his car stereo and dancing in the parking lot of Little Flock Baptist Church, late at night. We stared at the stars for hours.

I remember having a picnic at North Bullitt Christian Church. We ate food his mom made. Instant chicken rice, garlic bread, and sweet tea. As we were wrestling on the blanket... he asked me to marry him. I remember saying yes... and as we lied there it started to rain about a mile away... and the rain cloud passed right over us.

I remember walking down the aisle seeing the most handsome man stare back at me. I remember looking into his eyes as we were married in front of great people. It was amazing.

I remember our great trip to The Smokey Mountains. I remember spending hours in the mountains, seeing the beauty of God all around us.

I remember our plans to move to Joplin, Missouri. We had to live with his parents, because we thought we would move there in a few weeks. I remember plans falling through and moving to an apartment in Old Louisville three weeks later.

I remember cooking baked Zitti and Hamburger Helper weekly... because I didn't know how to cook anything else. I remember Corey loving every minute of it, but gaining 40 pounds.

I remember it seemed that problem after problem had happened when we lived in that apartment. Cars broke down, stuff got stolen, we were cheated out of money.
I remember God blessing us with people, to help us in those times of need.

I remember finding out we were pregnant, five months later... and being so excited to meet our little baby. I remember when Corey used to pick fights with Isaiah when he was in the womb. Isaiah would kick Corey's hand when he put it on my belly.

I remember deciding to move to Indiana, with our friends Mike and Alicia. I remember great conversations about God and theology.

I remember giving birth to our beautiful baby boy, and never feeling so complete in our lives. Watching him grow has certainly shown the Glory of God.

I remember Corey no longer having a job, and fearing being homeless.

I remember moving from Indiana back to Corey's parents. I remember fighting off Satan, and having a really hard time. I remember the stress and anger as we were living there. We were really poor, living off of someone else, dealing with mental illnesses.

I remember Corey getting a job at Baptist East three months later. I remember praising God, and going out to buy really good food.

I remember getting kicked out of Corey's parents, and moving in with our great friends Justie and Nathan for a couple of weeks. I remember us getting to know them better than ever before.

I remember moving into our house in Shelby Park, where we live now. Watching Isaiah grow, learning so many new things, and falling deeper and deeper in love with each other and Christ.

God is so good to us.

2 comments:

  1. this is so beautiful! thanks for sharing yourselves with us in community. i loved reading this and filling in the gaps of what i know of you all - where you've been and where you started. you all are sweet to us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet, makes me teary. We consumed A LOT of hamburger/tuna helper in our first year.

    ReplyDelete