Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Winter

The day was cold. White Powder coated the ground, and the trees had bared the last of their leaves. Large shadows were casted beneath my feet, I took a few steps forward.
The frosty wind hit my cheeks as I felt my tears turn to ice crystals. Red liquid poured from my cracking lips as I attempted to apply more Burt's Bees.
My eyes were full as I peered out at the open space surrounding the only soul within miles. The insecurities I held within rushed through my mind like a thousand antelope being chased by a fierce lioness. My heart was broken.
Another gust of icy wind whisked past my body. I felt my tired legs give out, and my knees hit the top layer of the frozen lake. The solid substance formed a crack, as I attempted to raise my heavy head to the sky.
I heard a crackling sound echo through the air. I felt a vibration in my throat, leading me to believe it was my own voice sounding off. More tears poured down my face. As I struggled to wipe them the warm sun grazed my cheeks. The wind whispered a phrase all too familiar, reminding me of joy.
The whispering wind lifted my aching body from the ground, and my arms to the sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment